HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS. HIATUS.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Matched

Title: Matched (Website | Tumblr)
Author: Ally Condie (Website | Goodreads)
Series: Matched #1
Publisher: Speak
Published date: September 20th 2011
Pages: 369 pages
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3/5 Noodles


From Goodreads:
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
**** 
I was disappointed with this book. I've heard many good things about this book and, that's why I have high expectations with this book. Matched didn't meet my expectations. Even though I am disappointed, I enjoy this book. I enjoy the idea of the perfect society and everything. A society that decides what will you eat, what to wear, where you work, and who to love.

Characters aren't that great. Characters didn't stay in my mind for so long, for a second, I already forget them. I want characters that will stay in my mind for a long time, you know. Characters that stay in my mind even I'm sleeping, staying in my dreams. Characters that can stay in my heart for a long time. 

The love triangle is the usual love triangle. Your best friend is there then suddenly you find someone better than your best friend. Afterwards you fell in love with that guy whom you just saw for the first time. This kind of love triangle is usual, I want something new.

The plot is quite predictable. Long introduction and nothing really happened. I liked the parts about pills, and poems. I liked the "Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night" poem and the different artifacts. As I said before, I liked the idea of perfect society. Condie created a perfect dystopian world.

The ending is a cliffhanger. I'm looking forward to read the next book, Crossed. I don't have a copy of Crossed, yet, but I will buy as long as I have money (I'm poor). 

Overall, the book is good but the cover is better than the story. I'm sorry to the fans of this book, don't hate me. I'm just being honest. I will definitely buy the second book, because I've heard that it is better than the first book. :))

Favorite Quote/s:
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.”
“Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that.” 
“Is falling in love with someone's story the same thing as falling in love with the person himself?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment